Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Crazy for Cupcakes!

Let me introduce you to the self-proclaimed "Cupcake Maven". Sometime in the last few weeks I've become a bit obsessed with cupcakes. It was almost like I woke up craving them. Perhaps it was finally finding a vegan cupcake recipe and making them for Zea's birthday. Whatever the case may be, I, the Cupcake Maven, am on a hunt for the best cupcakes in the Maryland/DC area. There are a few bakeries that exclusively sell cupcakes and that is where by search has begun. I will share my results of my quest with you, here on the blog!!

So here's my first review.

Georgetown Cupcake

My expert team of cupcake tasters!

Two sisters opened the shop in February 2008 and have made a name for themselves on the east coast. In the year and a half that it's been opened they have been featured in People magazine, the Washingtonian, the Today Show and even Martha Stewart!

Lovely selection of cupcakes

On Zealand's birthday, Adriana/Lalilo, my partner in crime, suggested that we start our cupcake adventure. What a better way to celebrate? So we chose this particular shop mostly because its location is one that we like very much. Between the three of us we purchased four cupcakes.
Red Velvet, Chocolate Hazelnut, Lemon Berry and Chocolate Banana.


Soooooo yummy!!!! The icing was light and flavorful, the cupcakes fluffy and deliciously flavored. The one that I thought I would hate the most was the chocolate banana. Usually products with a banana blend are overpowered by banana flavoring. Not this time. The banana was perfectly balanced in the icing and in the cupcake. The red velvet cupcake tasted fresh and was complemented perfectly with cream cheese icing. Chocolate Hazelnut nearly like a Ferrero Rocher in mini cake form. The lemon berry wasn't too heavy and beautifully decorated although the bright pink icing did stain Zealand's shirt.

The overall rating is, drum roll please, 5 out of 5 cherries on top!!!


drinking in the scent (red velvet)


Zea test. . .


. . . totally passed!!


Chocolate hazelnut (someone's trying to steal it. . . )



Chocolate Banana


Lemon Berry

5 comments:

ReginaR said...

This child is so gorgeous.

VJM said...

HOW FUN!!!!!! I love it. I love that she's growing so fast!!! I can't wait to see you guys very very soon!

Heather said...

Sounds delicious! Wish I could have been there to taste some of them. Love Zealands butterfly!

Erica said...

ps. i love the new name and pic at the top of the blog :)

kaiandkristi said...

Looks like a great time! And the cupcake place looks fabulous!